Saturday, June 23, 2012

My first Rodeo

This weekend I went to my first Rodeo. it was amazing! I was invited to go with the neighbor's family to the Guy Westwick festival rodeo in High River, around 20 minutes out of Okotoks.
I had just gotten back from the beach so I wasn't wearing the most 'rodeo friendly' clothing. I stuck out like a sore thumb with my white shorts and ballerina flats amongst the cowboy style all around me. Wearing shorts to an outside rodeo in the rain probably wasn't the smartest move on my part, but with our upgraded seating we were out of the rain at least!

The first rule I learnt about the rodeo is NEVER touch a cowboy's hat. The second rule I learnt is a rodeo isn't complete without a mini doughnut.
Mini doughnuts come from a little truck that rolls around to events in Calgary like rodeos and festivals, it's called the mini doughnut factory. OMG they are delicious! I would suggest to anyone to try them! I loved them so much I bought more to bring home with me for a treat later on. Unfortunately they need to be eaten fresh or they lose their charm and delicious nature; they become just another boring old doughnut.

I enjoyed watching all the events but my favorite was the bull riding by far! There was something exhilarating about watching a man being flopped around like a rag doll on a huge animal as crowds of people cheer him on.

Although I do still plan on attending the Stampede rodeo, I am told the small town rodeo that I attended has the exact same cowboys but with a better view.

No comments:

Post a Comment